Workshops & Events
The Equine-Assisted EMDR Protocol
Relieve Suffering, Heal Hearts and Restore Lives With EquilateralTM
Identified as a comprehensive and integrative treatment approach, the current research on the neurological underpinnings of trauma is supportive of Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) as a treatment of choice for trauma treatment. EquiLateral TM is the Equine-Assisted EMDR Protocol, an innovate integration of Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy (EAP) and EMDR. We are still doing the eight phases of EMDR, but through an equine-assisted approach.
This four hour introductory workshop is for licensed mental health clinicians, graduate level students, or equine professionals who are interested in learning more about Equine-Assisted EMDR and the EquiLateral(tm) Protocol. This highly interactive workshop includes an equine experiences to demonstrate the use of and "feel" of the protocol. The workshop provides an overview of EAP (Equine Assisted Therapy) and EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing) as individual modalities as well as the rationale for their integration. An overview of clients who benefit from an Equine-Assisted EMDR approach is also provided. Attendees are also provided with opportunities to learn why to potentially integrate Equine-Assisted EMDR work into treatment center settings, including an overview of business related topics. Equine Assisted Psychotherapy methodology and experiences are included to help practitioners better understand the horse/human relationship and its impact on the therapeutic process.
Sierra Tucson's CEC's:
- To be provided with a brief review of EMDR and EAP as well as the rationale for the integration of these therapeutic modalities.
- To be able to identify clients who would benefit from the EquiLateralTM Equine-Assisted EMDR Protocol including those in need of additional grounding, attachment, affect tolerance skills, and additional resource states for in depth trauma processing, as well as for case conceptualization and target sequence planning purposes.
- To identify how client's experiences with horses, throughout the EquiLateralTM Equine-Assisted EMDR Protocol, can be leveraged both in and out of the arena, in and out of office, and between sessions, to further facilitate trauma desensitization and reprocessing.
- To be able to identify the benefits of utilizing the EquiLateralTM Equine-Assisted EMDR also as an adjunct service to clinicians' primary therapeutic work with clients.
- To be able to identify how training in the integration of EMDR and EAP throughout EMDR's eight phases creates additional specialization opportunities for the EAP or EMDR practitioner, as well as treatment centers with these providers on staff.
(4) Continuing Education Credits available:
- MFT, LCSW as required by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences. Approval #PCE3587.
- RN as required by the California Board of Registered Nursing. Approval #CEP 12719.
- Psychologists - This program is co-sponsored by Sierra Tucson and Dragonfly International Therapy. Sierra Tucson is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists; Sierra Tucson maintains responsibility for this program and its content.